Friday, October 14

Fabric Pumpkin Tutorial



Sitting here, working on this fun tutorial, I have the windows open and it is just {lovely}.  Makes me even more anxious to work on fall crafts knowing that the weather is changing...yay ;)


Let's get this going!


Supplies that will be needed:
(picture below)

Needle & Thread (I used a thread color that matched my fabric)
Scissors
Wire cutters
Polyester Fiber Fill 
Brown Paper Stem Wire
Naturally Wired Brown Vine Covered Wire
Fabric 
(For the tutorial I used burlap.  But for my other pumpkins I used plaid flannel and felt)



1.

For this tutorial, I will be showing you how to make a large pumpkin.  I had to lay my burlap fabric on the floor to cut a large circle.  You can easily do this on a table...depending on how small or large you want your pumpkins :)


2.

Cut out a circle.  It does not have to be perfect...yay!


3.

Once your circle has been cut, thread your needle.  I chose for my thread to blend with the fabric.  Start sewing in and out of your fabric.  You do not need to sew small stitches...make them about 
2 1/2 to 3 inches apart.





The above picture is showing the fabric coming together in a circle.


4.

Ta-Da!  You have made a fabric pumpkin!  Do not close your pumpkin yet.  Now its time to tear open that fiber fill and lets get to stuffin'!  This is a good way to get your kids into the project :)  Miss B sure enjoyed it!  Picture below shows the fiber fill going inside the fabric pumpkin.  I just loosened the stitches to fill.


5.

Once you have the desired amount of fullness, it's time to close the top.  Using your threaded needle, pinch the top of pumpkin where all the fabric is gathered and start sewing it up.  Again, this does not have to be perfect.  You just want to make sure the top is not going to pop open.



6.

Top closed, lets make the stems.  For the larger pumpkins I used 2 of the brown, paper stem wires.  




Bend in half.



Do the same for the other.


7.

Your stems are now ready to be inserted into the top of pumpkin.  Just push them into one of the sewn seems.


8.

Let's make those cute twisted vines :)  Again, for the large pumpkin, I'm going to make longer vines.  Using your naturally wired brown wire and wire cutters, cut off three 30" pieces.  Take one of those and twist around your fingers to make them curly.  Remove off fingers and slightly pull top and bottom for a more relaxed curl.  Taking one of the ends, insert inside the top of pumpkin.  Repeat this step for the other 2 vines.









It's starting to look like a pumpkin!

9. 

Time for leaves:  I used a darker color for my leaves.  The place where my index finger is where the top of your leaf is.  Using your scissors, cut out a pointed (fat) oval shape.  I made 3 leaves in different sizes.






If you are making 2 or 3 leaves, place them together as shown.  One on top of the other.



Sew together.


10.

Attaching your leaves to the pumpkin:  Place your just sewn leaves to any side of the pumpkin.  Just simply sew them on around the center where the stem and vines are!  Guess what, you are done!





These would look so cute in black and white polka dot fabric....think I just might have to make some :)  Good thing about these are the kids can pick up and if they drop there not gonna fall to pieces...yes!

Enjoy your Fall decorating!

Need another Fall project? Check out the Fall Wreath Tutorial posted a couple weeks ago.


Link Parties I'll Be Joining!


{HUGS},
Steph

46 comments:

  1. I love these, especially the plaid one! Nicely done....Stop by to enter my giveaway for 100 printed postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the BEST pumpkin craft I've seen this season. Love it. Pinned it on Pinterest and I'm about to be your newest follower! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I have never seen this kind of wire before. I'll have to be on the lookout. Your tutorial was great too. Clear and easy. Thanks! Visiting from TT&J.

    Kim
    www.todayismysome-day.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfection!

    Beautiful job! I would love for you to share them on my link party. I hope to see you there!

    http://www.the36thavenue.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love your pumpkins. The neutral colors and the wire are perfect! I have a link party on Tuesdays {The Inspiration Board} and I’d be thrilled if you linked this up. I know my readers would really enjoy it. Hope to see you there.
    http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/10/inspiration-board-link-party-20.html
    carolyn - homework

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're so cute!!! I've seen a lot of this style this season but yours stand out to me. Love the little curly q's...

    Pamela @ pbjstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I think I'm in love. And not just the pumpkins either, but perhaps with the entire blog. :) Glad to have found you!

    I'd love for you to link up to my pumpkin party:

    "Pumpkinspiration Party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply adorable! I would be delighted for you to link this to Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, forgot to say, I'm a new friend and follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back to say thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday! You are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally fabulous pumpkins and tutorial!!! YOU are amazing!!! I'm your newest follower!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great!!! Such a good twist to the "normal" pumpkin. I became a follower so I can keep up with all your great ideas.

    When you get a chance you'll have to stop by my blog.

    Melissa
    http://redflycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love them!

    I would love for you to share them at my link party. I hope to see you there!

    http://www.the36thavenue.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! Love the tutorial. I saw you on TT&J and my eye went to this immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darling, darling, darling!! These pumpkins have some serious style! :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am featuring you tomorrow during STICKER TIME! Feel free to stop by and button-up! I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adorable!! I definitely will be making these:D Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made some too but yours are looking perfect !.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Steph, I love how your pumpkins turned out. I made some a few weeks ago, using a couple different tutorials. I love the idea of using the vine covered wire for the curlicues! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are such a cute idea! I am your newest follower and featured these pumpkins on Saw it {Loved it} Sunday over at my blog.
    www.mirrorsmetaphorsandkaleidoscopes.blogspot.com

    Emily

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Steph, the pumpkins are absolutely adorable. The burlap gives them more of a fall look than a halloween look and I like that. I found and am now following you through Show And Tell Friday, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have been featured in the Sunday Special Edition of Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are adorable :) Laurel@chippingwithcharm

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are so cute!!!

    Lianne @acontenthousewife
    www.thestewartestate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are {loved}.